Reaching the magical land of Octavia took a long time and drained all my energy.
I battled demons, monsters and ghosts, and I thought I’d never make it alive. Every time I turned my head in another direction, a new creature pinned me to the ground and almost killed me.
Now that I finally found shelter, I realized the war against Evil made me hungry.
The little fairy perched on my shoulder gave me an idea. How about eating some French beignets with delicious wild berry compote?
Yum, I was salivating…
French Beignets (New Orleans Recipe)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 7 1/2 cups flour
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Pour 1/2 cup room temperature water into a small bowl. Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let stand for about 5 minutes to dissolve.
- Combine the shortening, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Pour the boiling water over the shortening mixture and then stir in the evaporated milk. Wait for the mixture to cool down until it is lukewarm. Then, add the yeast and water mixture and beaten eggs.
- Slowly mix in the flour until the dough forms a ball. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Working with a small portion (a little larger than a baseball) at a time, roll out the dough 1/8-inch thick. Cut the rolled out dough into strips 2 to 3-inches wide, then cut again in the opposite direction and at an angle, making diamond shapes.
- Heat your oil for frying in a deep and wide, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat to 360 degree F (180 degrees C).
- Slide dough slowly into the oil to avoid splattering and deep fry until they puff up and are golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Carefully remove onto a rack with paper towels underneath and allow to cool until you can handle them. Place in a clean paper bag with confectioners’ sugar and shake gently until covered generously or, use a sifter to dust the beignets with powdered sugar.
Wild Berry Compote
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
(Sugar is optional… Berries are usually sweet enough!)
In a large saucepan add all your ingredients and cook until it’s has thickened up about 6 minutes. Let it cool then refrigerate. Makes 2 full cups!
All I had to do was sit at the banquet table and selfishly devour this awesome dessert! Bon appétit!!