A wealthy Hawaiian hotelier is chewed to death by sharks – in his penthouse office.
A traveling salesman goes missing – in a shady New England town full of monstrous fishmen.
A new casino gets supernaturally good luck in Vegas – thanks to ancient Egyptian magic.
These are the cases taken by Morton Candle and Weatherby Stein. Mort’s a hardboiled ex-paratrooper turned two-gun shamus. Weatherby’s a fourteen-year-old wiz kid and heir to the greatest family of European sorcerers.
They met in the fury of WWII, when Weatherby and his parents were being held hostage by the Third Reich and Mort’s squad was sent to bust them out. Now they’re a pair of private detectives specializing in the paranormal, the supernatural and the just plain weird.
But sometimes, arcane evil goes back a long way and a dangerous force from deep in the past of Stein’s family is about rise. Weatherby and Mort will put everything they have into stopping it – and it might not be enough.
- Theme: Hardboiled Detective / Urban Fantasy
- Type: Curiosity Quills Press Novel
- Length: 220 Pages
- Pub. Date: June 24, 2012
- ISBN: 978-1-62007-032-1 (ebook)
- ISBN: 978-1-62007-033-8 (paperback)
Included in Anthology:
- Tiki Terror: Selena Stein joins her brother Weatherby and Mort for a mystery set in a ritzy Hawaiian resort. A wealthy hotelier was munched by sharks – while still in his penthouse office. Tiki magic, native spirits, the mainland mob and more make this vacation one not be forgotten.
- Crimson Catch: Mort and Weatherby chase a missing traveling salesman to the shady New England town of Innsmouth, where they discover a conflict brewing between the deformed, murderous townspeople. Mort’s ready to play the factions against each other – but he doesn’t know how deep the evil of Innsmouth goes or what he risks unleashing on the world.
- Mort Candle’s War: after rescuing Weatherby from Castle Stein, Mort and his squad are trapped in a ruined church, with the Nazi army closing in. Mort and his fellow paratroopers must now fight against incredible odds for the life of one little boy.
- Pharaoh’s Palace: In Las Vegas, the newly opened Egyptian-themed Duat Grand Casino is experiencing incredible luck. The Duat’s rivals have hired Mort and Weatherby to find out why. There’s something strange about the Duat Grand and Mort and Weatherby soon discover that they’re not the only ones on the case – and that the Duat Grand harbors a powerful evil from the days of the pharaohs.
- The Hollow: Mort and Weatherby travel to Appalachia, where a hideous horror awaits them in the clearing known only as the Witch’s Hollow.
- Business Proposition: The story of how Mort and Weatherby met after the war and their first case – which pits them against mobsters, a Chinese Tong and deadly hopping corpses.
- Crypt Crasher: A little town in the Carpathians hires Mort and Weatherby to stomp out the ancient evil lurking in the crypt of the Viscount Wagner Stein. The viscount is a depraved ancestor of Weatherby, and he’s been lying in wait for centuries. When things go wrong, an old evil wakens once more.
~Ron Fortier “Air Chief” @ Amazon ()
~Donna Maybe Dottie @ Amazon ()
~Thea Gregory @ Amazon ()
~Sophie Duncan @ Goodreads ()