Writing an entire novel in one month? Very hard.
Writing an entire awesome novel in one month? Only NaNo-Virtuosos are up to that challenge.
If you want to add a little extra crazy to your NaNoWriMo frenzy this year, we’ve got just the thing for you.
Welcome to the second annual NaNo-Virtuosos Competition, hosted by Curiosity Quills Press – a no-holds-barred showdown between the cream of the NaNo-crop.
Several dozen brilliant competitors have followed in the footsteps of last year’s winners - Courtney Worth Young, Trudy Dillard, and Thea Gregory – vying to show the world they’ve got it what it takes to hammer out 50,000+ words of sheer brilliance.
As the competition proceeded, the throng of competitors thinned out, and before long…
Only one survived.
Brandice Snowden: NaNo-Virtuosos Winner of 2013!
The Paladin Returns (Book 1 of the Veil Prophecy)
Competition Rounds & Synergy Prize
Just like NaNo-Virtuosos 2012, this year’s competition is split into three distinct rounds, each with a specific set of rules, challenges, and wonderful prizes.
One important difference, however, is that this year we’re introducing something we’re calling the “Synergy Prize” – a reward for our readers who are actively participating in helping their favorite authors make it through the competition.
This year’s Synergy Prize is the Google Nexus 7 32gb HSPA+ Tablet!
Congratulations, Pradeep Singh (Portland, OR)! You are the Synergy Prize winner!
Everyone else who voted: THANK YOU!
NOTE: Interim round Synergy Bonuses are being distributed tonight, so if you don’t get your prize by the end of February 25, 2012 – please let us know ASAP!
Made it through NaNoWriMo alive? Now it’s time to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Round One Results:
Round One Rules
- All entries must be completed during NaNoWriMo 2012.
- Submissions open through Dec. 10
- Blurb & first 3 pages displayed for voting
- Voting will begin Dec. 14
- Voting will finish Dec. 28
- Results will be announced on Dec. 31
Round One Synergy
- If you pick the winner(s) correctly – you’ll win a CQ book of your choice for each winner (as long as your ballot has more winners than losers).
- Pick at least 5 winners correctly, and automatically enter the Synergy Prize drawing
13 Winners Receive:
- Editing of first 13 pages
- Entire CQ e-book catalogue
- Special secret gift(s) from our panel of judges
- $13 amazon gift cards
You are better than most, but the competition is only warming up. Do you have what it takes?
Round Two Results:
Round Two Rules
- Round 1 winners have through Jan. 4 to make edits and submit a cover worksheet
- Entries will be judged by our panel of expert judges.
- Cover worksheet will be judged by the community.
- Voting will begin Jan. 5
- Voting will finish Jan. 18
- Results will be announced on Jan. 21
Round Two Synergy
- Expect many special events, games, and community contests during this round.
- If you pick the winner(s) correctly – you’ll win 3 CQ books of your choice for each winner (as long as your ballot has more winners than losers).
- Pick at least 3 winners correctly, and automatically enter the Synergy Prize drawing
5 Winners Receive:
- $33 amazon gift cards
- Editing of first 50 pages
- Comments by panelists for use as marketing blurbs
- Personalized recommendations from the panel
- Top-voted cover worksheet will be professionally illustrated by our visual extraordinaire, Ricky Gunawan (credited with the covers for The Devil You Know, The Gathering Darkness, The Stein & Candle Detective Agency, The Last Donut Shop of the Apocalypse, and many more)
- Special secret gift(s) from our panel of judges
You are riding high, among the cream of the crop – now seize the grand prize!
Round Three Results:
Round Three Rules
- Round 2 winners will have through Jan 24th to make final edits
- Blurb & first 3 chapters (or 30 pages, which ever is longer) displayed for voting
- Voting will begin Jan. 25
- Voting will finish Feb. 8th
- The NaNo-Virtuoso and the drawing winner will be announced on Valentine’s Day, Feb. 14th
Round Three Synergy
- Pick the winner correctly, and automatically enter the Synergy Prize drawing.
- Expect special deals and discounts on select CQ titles!
Meet the Panel
This year’s NaNo-Virtuosos Competition will be a little different – we’re bringing in the big guns in the form of a specialist panel of judges, helping the competition move smoothly and providing helpful commentary throughout. Our glorious panelists are not CQ staff, but rather successful industry professionals and authors who have valuable insight to offer both our prospective authors and our readers.
We hope to represent all sides of writing – from the big name bestsellers to the trend-defying visionaries to those who draw crowds with their fan-fiction without thought of profit. The panel will assess Round Two manuscripts, and together will help determine who moves on to the final round. In the case of a draw, the Curiosity Quills Press acquisitions team will step in to break the tie.
- Submissions for Round 1 must be received by Midnight PST on December 10, 2012.
- Submissions must be new, original, and complete NaNoWriMo 2012 entries of 50,000 words or greater that were started and finished during November, 2012 ONLY.
- You must be the author of your submission.
- Submissions that are sequels to previous works are also accepted, however, should they win the grand prize – then the publication offer will depend on whether or not Curiosity Quills Press accepts the previous works in the series for publication. We must be able to publish the series as a whole, or not at all.
- There is no limit to how many submissions you can make, as long as they all fit the criteria.
- A special submission form must be used to send in entries. No other submission methods will be accepted.
- For the purpose of calculating number of pages, submissions will be reformatted to 12-point Georgia font, 1.25x spaced, with 1″ margins.
- Round 1 voting tallies will be calculated on December 31, 2012.
- Round 2 voting tallies will be calculated on January 21, 2013.
- Round 3 voting tallies will be calculated on February 11, 2013.
- Competitors may promote their entries, as long as nothing is offered in exchange.
- Competitors offering any sort of valuable consideration in exchange for support will be automatically disqualified.
- Multiple ballots cast by the same person will be disqualified, no exceptions.
Winners & Edits:
- 13 highest ranking submissions from Round 1 will be declared winners of Round 1.
- Winners of Round 1 will have through Jan. 4 to make edits for Round 2.
- If no edits are submitted for Round 2, the Round 1 entry will be used.
- If no cover worksheet is submitted for Round 2, then the entry will not be included in the cover voting, and will not be eligible for the cover prize.
- 5 submissions chosen by the panel of judges from Round 2 will be declared winners of Round 2.
- 1 highest ranking cover worksheet from Round 2 will be declared the winning cover of Round 2, independently of the manuscript winner.
- Winners of Round 2 will have through January 24, 2012 to make final edits for Round 3.
- If no edits are submitted for Round 3, the Round 2 entry will be used.
- Winners of each round will be informed via email.
- Prizes may not be substituted for monetary value or transferred to other individuals or works.
- Grand prize winners will need to sign a formal publishing agreement in order to have their works published by Curiosity Quills Press, should they choose to do so.
Synergy Prize Drawing:
- Only available for residents of US (sorry, world)
- No purchase necessary to enter.
- For Round One, you must correctly pick at least 5 of the 13 winning entries before voting closes on December 31, 2012.
- For Round Two, you must correctly pick at least 3 of the 5 winning entries before voting closes on January 21, 2013.
- For Round Three, you must correctly pick the grand prize winner.
- For all rounds, the number of winning entries on your ballots must be greater than the number of losing entries in order for your Synergy Drawing entry to be counted.
- Drawing results will be announced at the same time as the NaNo-Virtuoso, on February 14, 2013.
- Prize will be delivered via UPS or Fedex to a continental US address by the end of February, 2013.
- E-Book prizes will be granted for ballots containing more winning entries than losing entries, with one book of choice given for each winning entry in such case.
- By entering the contest, entrants agree to be bound by and abide by the contest rules and the decisions of Curiosity Quills Press, which shall be final and binding with respects to all aspects of the contest, including and without limitation the eligibility of entries.
- All entries remain the property of their respective authors.
- By entering the contest, you grant Curiosity Quills Press a non-exclusive, nontransferable worldwide license to display, modify, or use the submitted materials in any way necessary to carry out the judging process and to promote the competition.
- Curiosity Quills Press is not responsible for any lost, misdirected or delayed entries.
- By entering the contest, the entrant agrees to accept all correspondence from Curiosity Quills Press.
- By entering the contest, a contestant agrees to indemnify and hold Curiosity Quills Press, its affiliates, officers, directors, agents and employees harmless and to release them from any and all liability, damages, or cause whatsoever , however named or decided, with respect to or arising out of participation in a contest, or the receipt or use of the prize awarded.
- Curiosity Quills Press, its agents and assigns are not responsible for technical, internet, hardware, software or telephone malfunctions of any kind and lost or unavailable network connections, which may limit the ability to participate in a contest or by any human error which may occur in the processing entries. If for any reason (including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other cause beyond the control of Curiosity Quills Press, which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper concluding of a contest), the contest can not be completed as described in the rules, Curiosity Quills Press shall have the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest.